Skip to content

Then and Now

THEN & NOW: 16 Dunlop St. E.

THEN & NOW: 16 Dunlop St. E.

From furniture to grocery stores, banks to nightclubs, this building has served many purposes over the decades
THEN & NOW: Minet's Point

THEN & NOW: Minet's Point

In the 1890s, there was talk of an electric rail line that would run from Minet's Point around the bay to St. Vincent Park
THEN & NOW: The Boys Block

THEN & NOW: The Boys Block

Businesses that have occupied this downtown Barrie block over the decades include everything from seed stores to printers and hobby shops to billiard halls
THEN & NOW: St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

THEN & NOW: St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

The Owen Street church, considered to be rather elaborate in design these days, was thought to be quite plain back in the 1880s
THEN & NOW: Barrie Public Library

THEN & NOW: Barrie Public Library

The origins of Barrie's public library can be traced back to 1844 and the Mechanics' Institute
THEN & NOW: Barrie Jail

THEN & NOW: Barrie Jail

Known as the 'Barrie Bucket' and where five people were executed, the downtown jail closed its doors to prisoners in 2001
THEN & NOW: Northern Railway bridge

THEN & NOW: Northern Railway bridge

Solidly built bridge is still standing at the entrance to Johnson's Beach and the Barrie Yacht Club
THEN & NOW: 10 Dunlop St. E.

THEN & NOW: 10 Dunlop St. E.

Bernard Hind’s original Dominion House was a wooden structure, likely built sometime between 1830 and 1850
THEN & NOW: 215 Dunlop St. E.

THEN & NOW: 215 Dunlop St. E.

Initially known as the Exchange Block, the property also once housed a brewery before condos were eventually built at the site
THEN & NOW: McKay Hogg Woollen Mill

THEN & NOW: McKay Hogg Woollen Mill

One history book says mill was located on Bradford Street, south of Dunlop Street, however it was likely technically on High Street