Skip to content

Then and Now

THEN & NOW: The Bird house

THEN & NOW: The Bird house

Home at 84 Wellington St. E. has many Gothic Revival features, from its steep roof, two end chimneys, centre bay and lovely front entrance
THEN & NOW: S.S. No. 12 - Ferndale

THEN & NOW: S.S. No. 12 - Ferndale

Ferndale, a two-room brick schoolhouse, opened in 1899 and had quite a history before it closed in 1963
THEN & NOW: John Pearson House

THEN & NOW: John Pearson House

Built near the water's edge, construction was likely a challenge because of quicksand in the area
THEN & NOW: Allandale Presbyterian Church

THEN & NOW: Allandale Presbyterian Church

Final Presbyterian service at Essa Road church was held Sept. 16, 2018
THEN & NOW: Wine and liquor

THEN & NOW: Wine and liquor

Barrie Historical Archive hosting virtual walking tour to check out the city's watering holes from years gone by
THEN & NOW: Barrie Fruit Market

THEN & NOW: Barrie Fruit Market

Although downtown merchants were said to be 'bitter rivals,' they were seen leaving court together; A court official overheard the remark, 'Misery does love company'
THEN & NOW: 120 Dunlop St. E.

THEN & NOW: 120 Dunlop St. E.

Pfaff’s held its grand opening at the Dunlop Street location in August 1956, with CKBB broadcasting live from the store
THEN & NOW: Essa Road and Tiffin Street

THEN & NOW: Essa Road and Tiffin Street

Grand Trunk Railway appointed an expert watchmaker to inspect watches of its employees and Wesley Webb was given this position in 1898
THEN & NOW: St. Joseph’s Convent

THEN & NOW: St. Joseph’s Convent

The first Sacred Heart of Mary Church opened in 1850 and was turned into a three-room school in 1872
THEN & NOW: Railway YMCA

THEN & NOW: Railway YMCA

Bradford Street building opened as a YMCA on May 19, 1908 and provided accommodations to men working on the railroad in Allandale