Skip to content

Then and Now

THEN & NOW: 120 Dunlop St. E.

THEN & NOW: 120 Dunlop St. E.

Pfaff’s held its grand opening at the Dunlop Street location in August 1956, with CKBB broadcasting live from the store
THEN & NOW: Essa Road and Tiffin Street

THEN & NOW: Essa Road and Tiffin Street

Grand Trunk Railway appointed an expert watchmaker to inspect watches of its employees and Wesley Webb was given this position in 1898
THEN & NOW: St. Joseph’s Convent

THEN & NOW: St. Joseph’s Convent

The first Sacred Heart of Mary Church opened in 1850 and was turned into a three-room school in 1872
THEN & NOW: Railway YMCA

THEN & NOW: Railway YMCA

Bradford Street building opened as a YMCA on May 19, 1908 and provided accommodations to men working on the railroad in Allandale
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Allandale Station

THEN AND NOW: Allandale Station

Allandale Station was built in 1905 and had a majestic tower, columns, waiting room, luxurious mahogany-paneled dining room and lunch counter
THEN & NOW: Marches and merchants

THEN & NOW: Marches and merchants

Old images feature not only the event being documented, but also offer glimpse into the past with surrounding buildings in the background
THEN & NOW: St. Vincent Park

THEN & NOW: St. Vincent Park

East-end Barrie park was used for camping beginning in the 1920s and was also once the site of a speedboat regatta in the 1940s
THEN & NOW: Barrie Milling Co.

THEN & NOW: Barrie Milling Co.

Hints of the mill’s former life can still be seen in the painted-over brickwork at the front of the building, as well as in the old windows and possible loading docks at the back
THEN & NOW: General Electric building

THEN & NOW: General Electric building

The first electric blankets made in Canada were produced at the Barrie plant on Bradford Street
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Glebe Block

THEN AND NOW: Glebe Block

This parcel of land had been allocated as a glebe for the Anglican Church in 1836