Skip to content

THEN & NOW: 120 Dunlop St. E.

Pfaff’s held its grand opening at the Dunlop Street location in August 1956, with CKBB broadcasting live from the store

This ongoing series from Barrie Historical Archive curator Deb Exel shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.

120 Dunlop Street East 

For a change, we’re only going to look back about 60-plus years instead of 160!

This photo is worth a smile just to see a convoy half a city block long of Pfaff vehicles. Impressive!

Pfaff sewing machines were part of the Graham and Fleming display booth at the Moose Centennial ‘Home Merchandise Show’ May 28, 29 and 30, 1953, at the Barrie arena.

The event, sponsored by the Barrie Lodge, Loyal Order of Moose, featured 15 “home” exhibitors, a lucky draw and a Miss Centennial contest.

Graham and Fleming apparel had been a big part of Barrie’s Motor Show the previous spring, showing off the latest fashions in coats, suits, dresses, sportswear and beachwear to complement the new 1952 model cars. 

Mayor Marjorie Hamilton officially opened that event, also held at the arena.

Pfaff’s big opening of their Barrie location was Aug. 23, 24 and 25, 1956, with CKBB Radio broadcasting live from their store on Aug. 24 from 2-4 p.m. Pfaff’s had moved into the former OK Shoe Repair store at 120 Dunlop St. E., completely making over the premises in a new white and turquoise colour scheme with brown marble tile floors.

Neighbours to the west of the Pfaff Sewing Centre in the early 1950s would have included Monarch Refrigeration, the Barrie Bowling Alley and Snack Bar, Eaton’s, Plaza Billiards, Green Front Stores (later Armstrong Hardware), and the Queen’s Hotel.

To the east of Pfaff’s may have been Hughson’s Hobby Shop, Ruby’s Beauty Parlour and Pete’s Restaurant. Years later, MPP George Taylor’s constituency office was just a couple doors down.

The building’s decorative brick work has not changed over the years and can still be admired today.




Comments