This ongoing series from Barrie Historical Archive curator Deb Exel shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.
10 Dunlop St. E.
Bernard Hind’s original Dominion House, or ‘wildcat store’, was a wooden structure, likely built sometime between 1830 and 1850.
The clothing store was destroyed in the fire of 1875 along with almost everything else on the north side of Dunlop Street between Clapperton and Owen streets, up to Collier Street.
Looking bigger, better and obviously rebuilt in this photo from the late 1880s, the Dominion House building continues to tower over Dunlop Street even today.
For the past several years, restaurants such as At the Five, Made in Mexico and now a new Nashville-themed establishment have occupied the main floor of the old store.