Skip to content

Then and Now

CLP_ThenAndNow_house-1200x628px-FacebookAd

Then and Now shares historical photos and personal stories of past people, places, and events and connects them to their significance today. They are made possible through the continued support of Georgian International as part of our Community Leaders Program.


<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Something fishy was afoot at aptly named Wonder Valley

THEN AND NOW: Something fishy was afoot at aptly named Wonder Valley

Ten freshly painted cabins with electricity, running water, showers and new mattresses housed 1,100 guests in tourist camp's first season
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Owen St. home once owned by man behind Barrie Carriage Co.

THEN AND NOW: Owen St. home once owned by man behind Barrie Carriage Co.

Factory located at Ellen and John streets built the Barrie Bell in early 1900s, but company soon ran into financial problems
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Berczy St. home once served as convent in Barrie

THEN AND NOW: Berczy St. home once served as convent in Barrie

Residence still has a cross on the peak of its roof and the land also included the Eugenia Wesleyan Methodist Church burial ground
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Castle on Valley Dr. once home to prominent Barrie judge

THEN AND NOW: Castle on Valley Dr. once home to prominent Barrie judge

Letitia Heights structure stands today as a remarkable and significant heritage building, preserving an important piece of our community’s history
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> The Lally House on Collier St.

THEN AND NOW: The Lally House on Collier St.

In the 1970s, the building was purchased and its use changed from apartments to offices
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> 190 Shanty Bay Rd.

THEN AND NOW: 190 Shanty Bay Rd.

During early days of settlement, Kempenfeldt's growth outpaced nearby Barrie; Kempenfeldt had four taverns, a brewery, a wharf and more
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Rockforest II

THEN AND NOW: Rockforest II

Original Rockforest was built on Peel Street, but was demolished in the 1980s to make way for townhouses; Rockforest II was constructed on Owen Street around 1900
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> 80 Toronto St.

THEN AND NOW: 80 Toronto St.

Reported in 1876: 'Of the new dwellings going up, the one being built by Mr. William Boys on Toronto Street deserves special notice. It will be a cottage style, built of frame and stucco plastered, and will cost about $3,000'
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> 162 Dunlop St. E.

THEN AND NOW: 162 Dunlop St. E.

Property has a long and storied history in Barrie, including as the Union Inn and thuggery surrounding the general election in 1841
<b>THEN AND NOW:</b> Rose Cottage <b>(4 photos)</b>

THEN AND NOW: Rose Cottage (4 photos)

Located on Davidson Street, Rose Cottage was built in the mid-1840s for John and Elizabeth Bingham, who arrived in Canada from England