The Sunset Barrie Drive-In Theatre is opening up this weekend and will have some precautions in place to keep guests and staff safe.
Sunset will be open seven nights a week starting this Friday. The Shanty Bay drive-in had not been able to open this season due to COVID-19 restrictions, but manager David Hayes told BarrieToday, they were ready to go.
“Thankfully, Friday is the day and we’re very happy about it,” said Hayes. “We’ll have some changes in place to fit the provincial government guidelines, but other than that we are back in business.”
Only online ticket sales will be available for now. Extra portable washrooms have been brought in and, at least for now, there is no concession stand.
“We are currently trying to find out from the government how we can get that started up and we have ways to make it safe,” said Hayes. “We’re not against bringing food to the car, but again, we have to find out what we can do.”
The opening weekend for Sunset will be at 35 percent capacity and management will move to 50 percent as the weeks and months go on.
So far, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Trolls and Bad Boys For Life are three of the flicks available with more being announced soon.
The drive-in will also attempt to become a venue for concerts. An Eagles tribute band will perform on Aug. 1. The event had been planned for St. Joan of Arc Auditorium on April 18 and is in support of the Children’s Wish Foundation.
“We hope to do more events like that and have something planned for National Indigenous Peoples Day on June 21. We are working with Rama First Nations for the event and want to do the same with other organizations around the community,” said Hayes.
Tickets for the Eagles tribute band are available here.