This ongoing series from Deb Exel at the Barrie Historical Archive shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.
70 Collier Street
Before the Civic Square Tower arrived in the 1970s, there were still a few residences studding the north side of Collier Street, between Owen and Mulcaster streets.
For most of the 1930s and following few decades, the Fishers and the Simpsons, respectively, occupied the two homes between the Salvation Army citadel (whose old and new buildings had existed at 60 Collier St. since the 1890s), and the building located at 70 Collier St.
Since the 1800s until 1971, the apartment house at 70 Collier stood resolutely next to its more famous neighbor, the American Hotel, until the properties from 64-70 Collier St. were cleared in order to build the Civic Square Tower.
In the 1930s, the American Hotel (proprietor G.S. Webb) was listed as 72 Collier St. and it shared this address with the Liquor Control Board.
By 1937, these two businesses were shown as 72-74 Collier St., but by 1952, the American Hotel was sole occupant of 72-74 Collier St., as the Liquor Control Board had moved across the road to 63 Collier St.