This ongoing series from Deb Exel at the Barrie Historical Archive shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.
Salvation Army – 60 Collier Street
A newspaper ad from the Barrie Examiner of Aug. 23, 1883, reads:
"THE SALVATION ARMY is coming! A detachment of the Salvation Army will open fire in the old Presbyterian Church Barrie, on Sunday, August 25, 1883. Meetings 11 A.M., 3 P.M. and 7 P.M. and every night during the week at 8 P.M. Come in crowds!"
The Barrie Salvation Army was the 6th Corps established in Canada and they met at the former Presbyterian church until that location was outgrown and the new citadel was built at 60 Collier St.
The official opening and laying of the cornerstone took place on Oct. 1, 1896.
This building was later demolished in 1961 to make way for their new home at the same address.
These days, the Salvation Army citadel is located on Lillian Drive and their Bayside Mission is on Bayfield Street, south of Five Points.