CITY OF BARRIE
Barrie has plenty of events and activities happening this Family Day — Monday, Feb. 20.
Here’s what residents need to know:
Family Day events and programs:
- The City of Barrie is hosting a Family Day Winter Adventure from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Barrie Community Sports Complex (2100 Nursery Rd., Midhurst). The event is free and offers an opportunity for families to be active together outdoors. Activities will include horse-drawn sleigh rides, outdoor skating, crafts, snowshoeing, broomball, kicksledding, axe throwing and more. Visit barrie.ca/FamilyDayWinterAdventure for more information.
- There is a drop-in schedule of activities taking place at the city’s recreation/community centres, including public skates and swims, available via barrie.ca/RecDropIns.
- Residents are encouraged to get out and experience the beauty of Barrie as a winter city through self-guided activities for the Nature in Winter pop-up at Sunnidale Park. More details on the self-guided activities are available via barrie.ca/HelloWinter.
- The MacLaren Art Centre and Shak’s World are hosting an event called Family Day: Celebration of Diversity at Shak’s World Community Centre (59 Maple Ave., Barrie) from 12 to 3:30 p.m., as part of Black History Month. This free event will feature a creative painting and embroidery project, followed by musical entertainment. Details are available at barrie.ca/BlackHistoryMonth.
- The Barrie Public Library is hosting an online film viewing called In Focus: Black History Month — The Black American Fight for Freedom, from 10 to 10:30 a.m. Details are available via barrie.ca/BlackHistoryMonth.
Family Day affected services:
- City hall will be closed.
- Parking: Downtown parking (on-street and lots) is free on statutory holidays. Waterfront parking is enforced 24/7/365. View the municipal parking map via barrie.ca/parking to see the rates and available parking options.
- Barrie Transit will operate according to the regular Sunday service schedule. Riders are encouraged to visit MyRideBarrie.ca to plan their trips.
- Curbside collection: There will be no garbage, organics or recycling collection on Family Day in Barrie. Collection during the week of this holiday will occur one day later for the remainder of the week. Visit barrie.ca/CurbsideCollection for more information on curbside collection services.