Skip to content

THEN & NOW: When the Five Points wedge looked a little different

Not much was left of the triangular block from the early 1970s after fire destroyed Wagg’s Cleaning and the Beauty Box

Editor's note: This new feature from Deb Exel at the Barrie Historical Archive shows an old photo from the collection and one from the present day. 

Collier and Clapperton streets

By the early 1970s, there would not be much left of this triangular block after a fire on Clapperton Street destroyed the Wagg’s Cleaning business and the Beauty Box salon next door.

This is the same wooden building with a rough cast exterior that stood on this corner in 1907, and earlier.

To the left of the Beauty Box stood stone buildings that housed Clark’s Furnishings, and in the far left corner of the photo, was the Bank of Nova Scotia at the corner of Dunlop and Bayfield streets, now the location of the Five Points Theatre.

In the background to the right, part of the Loblaws sign can be seen over the building that is now Delta Bingo.

The Simcoe Hotel is the only building in this unusually shaped block that has survived.

The Royal Bank now occupies the north end of this Five Points block.