This ongoing series from Deb Exel at the Barrie Historical Archive shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.
Barrie waterworks stand pipe
According to records from 1907, this waterworks stand pipe was made of iron, stood 45 feet above ground, was 162 feet above Lake Simcoe and had a capacity of 153,000 gallons.
It was located on Ann Eliza Street, just east of Berczy Street, part of the Berczy Block, which was owned by Charles Albert Berczy, son of the third postmaster of Toronto, William Berczy.
Charles named the streets in his block after members of his family; Ann Eliza Street is named for one of his seven daughters.
In 1907, Codrington Street ran from Duckworth Street eastward, and Ann Eliza Street ran east-west from St. Vincent Street to Berczy Street.
The two streets were not connected at that time.
James Street began where Ann Eliza Street ended, running east-west from Berczy Street to McDonald Street.
In 1910, Ann Eliza Street was renamed to James Street.
By 1952, James Street and Codrington Street were finally connected and a bylaw was passed that same year to rename James Street as Codrington Street.
Through all the name changes, the water reservoir continued to command a view of the neighbourhood until it was removed in 1984.