Skip to content

THEN & NOW: From foundry to fuelling stations

From foundry to service station to coffee shop, the evolution of Bayfield and Ross

Editor's note: This new feature from Deb Exel at the Barrie Historical Archive shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day. 

Bayfield and Ross streets

The northwest corner of Ross and Bayfield streets looked very different in 1866, when Henry Sewrey opened the Barrie Foundry and Agricultural Works. 

Sewrey turned out a variety of products, including agricultural equipment in his steam-driven factory.

He also served as mayor of Barrie from 1882 to 1886 and closed his foundry on Ross and Bayfield streets, which stood abandoned until 1899 when it reopened as the Dyment Foundry Company.

Sewrey opened a new foundry on Bradford Street in 1899.

Flash forward to 1940 and all traces of the Barrie Foundry were gone and a service station now resided on the busy corner.

It was another 30-plus years and some rebranding before the Esso station at the corner of Ross and Bayfield streets disappeared and another type of ‘fueling’ station replaced it – the now ever-busy Tim Hortons coffee kiosk and drive-thru.