Skip to content

Fire caused by careless smoking

Barrie firefighters were called to 63 Carruthers Crescent around 5 a.m.
IMG_1151 (1)
Neighbours observe the damage after a house fire at 63 Carruthers Crescent in Barrie Sunday morning.

Barrie fire officials say careless smoking caused a fire that displaced four students from their home this morning.

The blaze happened early Sunday morning at 63 Carruthers Crescent and damage is estimated at more than $500,000.

Fire crews were called to the home at about 5 a.m. and flames had engulfed the home when they arrived.

Four people were inside the house when the fire broke out and there were no injuries. The Ontario Fire Marshal's Office was notified.

Reader Feedback

Robin MacLennan

About the Author: Robin MacLennan

Robin MacLennan has been a reporter, photographer and editor for the daily media in Barrie, across Simcoe County and Toronto for many years. She is a proud member of the Barrie community.
Read more