SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death today of a 32-year-old man in Barrie.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 2:30 p.m. on June 22, 2018, the man was arrested by Barrie Police Service officers and transported to the police station.
- While being booked, the man went into medical distress.
- Paramedics arrived, provided first aid to the man and transported him to hospital.
- A short time later, he was pronounced dead.
At this time, three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident. Three subject officers and one witness officer have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.