ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE
ADJALA-TOSORONTIO TOWNSHIP - On Tuesday May 15, 2018, at approximately 1:12 p.m., officers from the Nottawasaga Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a report of robbery at a Pharmacy located on Main Street in the rural community of Everett.
As a result of the investigation that followed, responding officers determined that a male suspect who was armed with a weapon entered the pharmacy and made a demand for pharmaceutical drugs. He then fled the scene in black coloured pick-up truck which was observed and followed by the police.
A number of attempts were made to stop the fleeing truck utilizing a tire deflation device (spike belt) as it made its way westbound on Highway 89, west of Alliston however, due to manner in which the truck was being operated, officers requested and received the assistance from OPP Aviation Services and the truck was safely followed by an OPP helicopter.
As the truck continued to travel eastbound on County Road 90 towards the City of Barrie, the Barrie Police Service was notified and provided assistance to the Nottawasaga OPP officers who were trying to safely get the truck stopped.
At 2:19 p.m., after travelling on one flat tire, the truck approached Dunlop Street from the area of High Street and as it attempted to travel eastbound onto Dunlop Street, it was boxed in and the driver was taken into custody without incident.
After a lengthy investigation, 29-year Jamie Adam Mulholland of New Tecumseth, Ontario has been charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, contrary to Section 249 (1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Flight While Pursued by Peace Officer, contrary to Section 249.1(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Armed Robbery, contrary to Section 343(d) of the Criminal Code of Canada;
- Disguise with Intent, contrary to Section 351 (2) of the Criminal Code of Canada
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000, contrary to Section 354 (1)(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada (2 Counts);
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose, contrary to Section 88 of the Criminal Code of Canada.
The accused is scheduled to appear for a bail hearing today at the Ontario Court of Justice located in Barrie.
The OPP wish to thank the public and the Barrie Police Service for their assistance yesterday as the events after the robbery unfolded. In the end, the cooperative and collaborative effort resulted in the arrest of an individual who was attempting to evade capture and arrest.