Skip to content

All three suspects now in custody 'for this terrible crime'

Ryan Babineau was stabbed to death in downtown Barrie on Nov. 16

City police now have three people in custody on murder charges following the Nov. 16 stabbing death of a 26-year-old man in downtown Barrie.

Shortly after 6:30 p.m., Thursday, 26-year-old murder suspect Tyler Wren was located by South Simcoe police officers and was taken into custody after Barrie police say he attempted to evade a RIDE spot check near Yonge Street and Innisfil Beach Road in Innisfil.

This morning, Barrie police detectives also arrested 25-year-old Abad Abdi Shire, who had been incarcerated in northern Ontario on an unrelated matter and returned him to Barrie.

Both of men have been formally charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and disguise with intent.

They are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Barrie later today.

On Thursday, Nov. 21, Barrie police also arrested 28-year old Cory Greavette, of no fixed address, at a Barrie residence. He has also been charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and disguise with intent.

BarrieToday spoke with city police communications co-ordinator Peter Leon, who said he was proud of the work done by investigators and those who assisted in the apprehension of the suspects.

“At this point, we have the three people sought after for this terrible crime, but with any investigation, we are open to any information people may have,” Leon said. “We were able to detain three people in 13 days for this crime and that speaks volumes to our investigators and the public who never stopped trying to help.”

On Saturday, Nov. 16, at 7:15 a.m., Barrie police officers and Simcoe County paramedics responded to a report of a man being stabbed at a lower-level apartment at 16 Dunlop St. E.

Ryan Babineau, a 30-year old Barrie man, was found to be suffering from life-threatening injuries and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

The autopsy determined his death to be consistent with a stabbing. 

The ongoing homicide investigation has remained active and ongoing.

Greavette has appeared twice at the Barrie courthouse, with his next appearance scheduled for Friday, Dec. 6.