Skip to content

William Feldhoff "relieved" to get home

Barrie bomb-maker released from jail today
feldhoff arrives home
William Feldhoff poses in his Virgilwood Crescent driveway after serving nearly four years in jail. Sue Sgambati/BarrieToday

William Feldhoff arrived at his Virgilwood Crescent home by taxi following his release this morning from the Central North Correctional Centre in Penetanguishene.

During an interview in his driveway after getting money from his wife for the cab, Feldhoff told BarrieToday he is "relieved" to be out of jail.

"I served my time," Feldhoff said. "I paid my dues as far as that goes. I hope I can enjoy freedom. Other than that I have nothing to say." 

The 78-year old ex-con says he found out 100 days ago that he was getting released from prison today and was closely watching the calendar. 

"Counting the days and the hours," Feldhoff said. "I've been away three years, six months and sixteen days."

The Barrie senior pleaded guilty to a raft of bomb-related charges and helping dispose of a dead body.

Feldhoff was serving four a half years for explosives charges and a concurrent sentence for helping dispose of Michael Traynor's body in 1978.

The strange saga began in July 2012 and garnered national headlines when Feldhoff's son Donald went to police, sparking the evacuation of the Feldhoff's neighbourhood.

Police spent nearly two weeks removing explosive devices, dangerous chemicals, illegal weapons and booby traps from Feldhoff's home. 

William Feldhoff pleaded guilty to 16 weapons and explosive charges and was sentenced to four and a half years in jail.

In October, Feldhoff was sentenced to 20 months in jail after pleading guilty to improperly interfering with a dead human body.  

Donald Feldhoff is awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge in connection with Traynor's death.

Feldhoff was asked if his neighbours should be nervous now that he's out of jail and back home.

"There was no danger before. There's no danger now," he said. 

And despite pleading guilty to weapons and explosives charges, Feldhoff denied there were bombs in his home.

"There was no explosives," he said. "In 1980-something when Robinson's Hardware shut down I bought fertilizer because I got it very cheap.

I had six bags of it.  I used five of it over the time since then, 30 years.  I still have one bag left.  That was your explosives.  That's it."

The first thing Feldhoff said he was going to do after arriving home was kiss his wife.


Sue Sgambati

About the Author: Sue Sgambati

Sue has had a 30-year career in journalism working for print, radio and TV. She is a proud member of the Barrie community.
Read more