Family Day is a great chance for parents and kids to do something active together and the city's community centres and outdoor areas are just the place for the fifth annual Family Day Winter Adventure at the Barrie Community Sports Complex.
Family Day at the Barrie Community Sports Complex, located at 2100 Nursery Road in Midhurst, takes place on Monday, Feb. 17 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
Activities will include a 24-foot climbing wall, horse-drawn sleigh rides, skating on the outdoor rink, crafts, broomball, tobogganing (bring your own), kicksleds, and axe throwing (for ages 10 and up).
You can also meet members of the Barrie Baycats, get autographs, tickets and take pictures, as well as check out the championship trophy.
And to keep warm, participants can gather around the bonfire.
A full schedule of drop-in activities will also take place at the Allandale and Holly community centres, which will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a variety of drop-in activities.
Some of the highlights include:
Allandale 55+ Centre (190 Bayview Dr.)
- Darts 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Bid Euchre 12:45-3:30 p.m.
Allandale Recreation Centre (190 Bayview Dr.)
- Open swim with try-it snorkeling and underwater photo booth 1-3 p.m.
- Public skate 2:30-3:50 p.m
East Bayfield Community Centre (80 Livingstone St. E.)
- Preschool gym 10-11 a.m.
- Open gym 11:30 a.m. –to 1:30 p.m.
- Open swim 1-3 p.m.
- Drop-in gym 2-4 p.m.
Holly Community Centre (171 Mapleton Ave.)
- Drop-in preschool 10-11:30 a.m.
- Open swim with slide 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Free skate 1-2:50 p.m.
For more information on activities, visit barrie.ca.
City services affected by Family Day:
* Barrie Transit will operate according to the regular Sunday service schedule. Visit www.barrie.ca/TransitNotices for details.
* Curbside Collection: There will be no garbage, organics, or recycling collection on Family Day in Barrie. Collection during the week of this holiday will occur ONE day later for the remainder of the week. Visit www.barrie.ca/CurbsideCollecti
* City Hall will be closed.
* Parking: Downtown parking (on-street and lots) is free on all statutory holidays. Waterfront parking is enforced 24/7/365; residents must display their permits and visitors are required to pay $3/hour (daily maximum: $20). Visit www.barrie.ca/Parking for details.