SIMCOE COUNTY DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD
In May 2017, the Simcoe County District School Board approved four strategic priorities to guide the work of the board from 2017-2022. One of the four priorities is equity, diversity and inclusion. Equity and inclusion has been an area of focus for the SCDSB in recent years.
“By including equity, diversity and inclusion as one of our strategic priorities, we will ensure that all students, families and staff are aware of our commitment to equitable, inclusive and safe schools,” says Director of Education Steve Blake.
In addition to existing initiatives and activities such as the Harmony Movement Social Changemakers conference, support for the International Day of Pink and resources and workshops for students and staff, in the coming months the SCDSB will also:
- Hire a principal of equity, diversity and inclusion
- Continue partnerships with community organizations, including but not limited to:
- Regularly train school-based leaders on issues of bias, discrimination, and harassment and the protected grounds of the Ontario Human Rights Commission
- Provide opportunities for equity training for all staff on an annual basis
- Ensure that schools, classrooms and resources reflect the lived realities of our students and celebrate their backgrounds and achievements
- Follow the Ministry’s stated goals in “A Better Way Forward – Ontario’s 3-Year Anti-Racism Strategic Plan”
“A key part of our success in promoting equity, diversity and inclusion over the past number of years has been the partnerships that we have developed with many community organizations,” states Daryl Halliday, superintendent of Education / Equity / Safe and Welcoming Schools. “While there is still much work to be done, this collaborative effort has been of tremendous benefit to the students and staff in SCDSB schools.”
Visit the SCDSB website to learn more about the strategic priorities.