CITY OF BARRIE
All City of Barrie operated Provincial Offences Act (POA) Courts will remain closed up to and including Oct. 16, 2020. Matters scheduled between March 16 and Oct. 16, 2020 are cancelled and defendants do not need to attend court at this time. All matters will be rescheduled by court order and defendants will be sent a new notice of the date via mail.
This order includes matters held at the following locations:
- Barrie Provincial Offences Office - 45 Cedar Pointe Drive, Barrie
- Orillia Provincial Offences Office - Willow Court Plaza, 575 West Street S, Unit #107, Orillia
- Churchill Satellite Court - Churchill Community Centre, 6322 Yonge Street N, Churchill
- Collingwood Satellite Court – 49 Huron Street, Collingwood
- Penetanguishene Satellite Court - Town Hall, 10 Robert Street W, Penetanguishene
- Wasaga Beach Satellite Court - 30 Lewis Street, Wasaga Beach
Common matters that would appear in POA Courts include offence notices or summons issued to an individual, or parking infraction notices under the following legislation:
- Highway Traffic Act charges (i.e. speeding and other traffic violations)
- Municipal by-law charges (i.e. parking, excessive noise, animal control, or garbage disposal)
- Charges laid under all other provincial legislation (i.e. Liquor Licence Act, Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act, Trespass to Property Act)
Starting Sept. 29, prosecution staff will be available to discuss resolution of most POA matters at 705-797-5357. Those with a Notice of Trial (i.e. from a ticket you have requested to take to trial) or waiting for a new Notice of Trial (i.e. re-scheduled due to the existing court closure) may contact municipal prosecution staff to discuss a resolution.
Enforcement of past due fines has been suspended until Dec. 1, 2020, unless payment date has been extended by a separate court order. To avoid late fees and potential driver’s license suspension, all fines should be paid prior to Dec. 2, 2020. Credit card payments are now accepted via phone for files beginning with court ID’s “3860” and “3861” only.
While offices are closed, staff are available Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays) to answer questions or update contact information. Please contact the relevant court administration office:
- Barrie – phone 705-739-4291, fax 705-739-4292 or email POA.Barrie@barrie.ca
- Orillia – phone 705 326-2960, fax 705-326-3613 or email POA.Orillia@barrie.ca
For more information and further updates, please visit barrie.ca/CourtServices.
Note: The Barrie Courthouse located at 75 Mulcaster Street is a Ministry-operated court separate from the City of Barrie. These closures do not apply to this courthouse.