FRESH FOOD WEEKLY
I'm happy to announce that Fresh Food Weekly has officially launched our monthly meal box delivery program for low-income families living in Barrie.
We've partnered with Lisa Peterson of Stone Horse Farm; she also runs the Thornton Farmers' Market and administrates the Farm-to-Family Local Fare Barrie group. We've also partnered with Kari and Mike Madden, owners of Thorganic Farms in Thornton.
Each month, we'll put together a box of locally sourced and fresh food and to start, we're creating 50 meal boxes a month. In addition, they can only be purchased on behalf of a low-income family living in Barrie, and so every month we're going to be fundraising enough to cover their costs.
Thanks to Lisa and Kari, who've already established a network of farmers and food businesses in our local area, we're able to include items such as milk, cheese, eggs, butter, meat, fruits and vegetables, as well as bakery breads and desserts, at a discounted rate. This allows us to sell our meal boxes at a phenomenal price!
Our first monthly delivery date is June 22, 2022 and these 50 meal boxes are worth $75 but are selling for only $37! In each of these meal boxes, we've included all the ingredients to make homemade burger patties (each box will also include a burger patty recipe), plus a number of side veggies and desserts:
- 4L of 2% Natrel milk (from Costco)
- 1 dozen farm fresh eggs (from Homestead Farm)
- 1lb butter (from Alliston Creamery)
- 1 wedge of mild Gouda cheese (from Continental Specialties & Imports)
- 2 lbs of ground beef (from Thorganic Farms)
- 1 liter of soup broth with veggies (broth bones from Stone Horse Farms)
- Desserts (from Don's Bakery)
- 2 lbs Onions (from Dominion Produce Farms)
- 2 lbs Carrots (from Dominion Produce Farms)
- Garlic (E.F.T. Farms)
- 2 lbs apples (E.F.T. Farms)
- 1 lb asparagus (Kerry Yamamoto)
- Bottle of Terry's Hot Sauce (from Terry's Unique Hot Sauce)
- Japanese-style bread crumbs (from Costco)
I am absolutely thrilled to be able to offer all these items at such an amazing price. I want to give a big shout-out to everyone who's helped make this all possible — this just totally blows me away! If you would like to purchase one of these meal boxes on behalf of a low-income family in Barrie, please e-transfer $37 to Lisa Peterson at [email protected], or by credit card over the phone at 705-241-7772.
If you would like to buy any fresh and locally sourced food items for yourself, please check out the Farm-to-Family Local Fare Barrie online catalog for a complete list of items!