DOWNTOWN BARRIE BIA
Open Air Dunlop is back for another summer.
Starting this Saturday, June 10, twice a month Dunlop Street will be closed to cars from Maple Avenue to Mulcaster Street, to make way for community. You can roll and stroll, shop and patio hop. Saturday is also the first day of the Barrie Air Show, presented by Pratt Homes.
The 2023 Barrie Airshow will be taking place on Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June 11. The free and family-friendly event is in partnership with the City of Barrie, the Canadian Forces Base Borden, the County of Simcoe, and the Downtown Barrie BIA.
Iconic Canadian aircraft and demonstration teams will be taking to the skies over Kempenfelt Bay at 1 p.m. each day with an opening address starting at approximately 12:30 p.m. The show will include the Canadian Forces Snowbirds (431 Air Demonstration Squadron), the Canadian Armed Forces SkyHawks Parachute Team, a CF-18 tactical demonstration, and the Northern Stars Aeroteam.
Each day from 9 a.m. till 4 p.m. you can find activities and vendors at Heritage Park, including Canadian Forces Base Borden interactive displays, vehicles, and the kiddie commando course.
Saturday will be extra special, with lots of fun planned, including:
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Visit the Barrie Farmers’ Market at City Hall. Niagara strawberries are in season.
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Free art activity, mini murals in Meridian Place with local artist Monica Loney.
- 10 a.m. — Free yoga class with Nook Yoga at Meridian Place
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. — Free art activities with Drawing House in Meridian Place. Create with chalk and try a quick drawing lesson with Marshall.
- 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. — El Mercadito Plant-Based/Vegan Market on Dunlop West, featuring plant based-food and handmade products by local vendors. Hosted by Mexhico Restaurant.
- 11 a.m. — Wrestler story time in Meridian Place with Barrie Wrestling, featuring Clutch Jessie V.
- 1 p.m. — Free Pilates class in Meridian Place with Jim from Namaste North.
- 1 to 5 p.m. — Free art activity, printmaking a chimney swift with Jenn from Art with Purpose, at the Lakeshore Mews alleyway.
- 4 p.m. — Free dance class in Meridian Place with Uptempo Dance Studio. This Saturday will be salsa and merengue.
- 4 p.m. — Free historic walking tour with Mary Harris of the Barrie Historical Archive. The hotels and salons of old Barrie. Meet in Meridian Place.
- 5 p.m. — Live music with Vitalogy, Pearl Jam tribute band, at Meridian Place.
- 8 p.m. — Meet and greet the air show pilots in Meridian Place.
- Dusk (approximately 9:30 p.m.) — Film screening of Top Gun: Maverick at Meridian Place, in partnership with the Barrie Film Festival.