This ongoing series from Barrie Historical Archive curator Deb Exel shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.
Looking at this humble dirt road, one would never imagine that just up the hill, one of the most magnificent homes in Barrie had been built.
But this is what Theresa Street looked like in 1897. At the end of this lane is Berczy Street and in the background the steeple of Collier Street Methodist Church can be seen.
Theresa Street was part of the Berczy block, owned by Charles Albert Berczy and named for one of his seven daughters, Theresa.
In 1873, William D. Ardagh, Barrie’s mayor from 1864-1870 and from 1877-1881, began construction of his home, The Hill, at 33 Theresa St.
The same engineers, A. Clifford Thompson and Maurice Gaviller who were responsible for the rebuilding of the fire hall on Collier Street and designing the East Ward School, were the planners of Ardagh’s impressive new home.
The Hill remained in the Ardagh family until 1968 and still stands today as a remarkable example of a Gothic Revival house.