This ongoing series from Deb Exel at the Barrie Historical Archive shows old photos from the collection and one from the present day.
Barrie Planing Mill
George Ball’s sash and door factory at the corner of John Street (now Maple Avenue) and Ross Street was built in 1867.
It subsequently burned twice before he rebuilt his business, the Ball Planing Mill, on the southwest corner of Bayfield and Ross streets in 1887.
It was demolished in the 1960s in order to build the new Woolworths.
Joseph Rodgers, who had apprenticed with Ball until about 1890, and William Gallie bought the Ball Planing Mill in 1897, keeping the name.
In 1908, Rodgers built the Barrie Planing Mill on the corner of Sophia and Mary streets.
It remained the Barrie Planing Mill until about the mid-1930s, then stood vacant for several years.
Rodgers died in 1937.
At one point, it was the Robson Bakery, then Parker and Hannah Agricultural Implements before it became Parry Automotive about 1961.
Today, the building at 30 Sophia St. W. continues to retain much of its original look and architectural features.