Located in Sault Ste. Marie, ON
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
We are seeking a seasoned professional to join our Procurement Team as Assistant Procurement Manager - Capital Projects
. This role, reporting to the Manager - Strategic Sourcing, will be responsible for all procurement and contracting activities related to Algoma’s proposed Electric Arc Furnace Project (EAF).
Core Competencies and Skills
- End to end sourcing of products and services to support Algoma’s proposed EAF Project, including;
-identifying cost savings opportunities,
-creating a competitive environment,
- generating contracts to assure seamless availability of all products and services
- Develop and maintain project procurement documentation and provide procurement status reports using the best available Project Management practices in order to keep track of spending, risks, deliverables, cost, budget and timelines.
- Evaluation of supplier’s core competencies and their competitive positioning leading to finalization of the contracts in line with Project Charter and Schedule.
- Expediting supplies and services as required, vendor contract administration / performance review and maintenance of vendor relationships.
- Resolve claims for and against suppliers in case of non-conformance of product or services.
- Monitor and analyze industry equipment technology trends, practices, and evolving events to proactively identify supply chain based issues to minimize risk, continuity of supplies and maintain positive supplier relationships.
Recommend and research new sources of procurement.
- Bachelor’s degree
- SCMP or PMP Certification
- 10 years of heavy industry experience (Steel industry is an asset)
- Six (6) years project procurement experience with exposure to individual projects of $100 million
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to effectively manage several activities simultaneously to achieve project milestones
- Advanced level ability in Microsoft Excel
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Experience working with SAP business applications is an asset
- Ability to work in a dynamic, cross-functional team atmosphere
- Excellent communication, presentation and report writing skills
Algoma offers a competitive salary including performance bonuses, a comprehensive benefit package, and a defined contribution pension plan.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply by November 8, 2021
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.